Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Making my way to the AANP National Conference

I am excited to return to the AANP National Conference in Las Vegas to present a session on "Diagnosing and Treating Common Foot and Ankle Conditions".  The opportunity to speak at such a well respected conference is one that I highly value.

My journey as an APRN began in 2000 when I graduated from the University of Kentucky.  I achieved my certification as a FNP with the ANCC (I was young and did not know any better...)  Upon graduation the career opportunities in the Central Kentucky area were limited.  But I only needed one opportunity to open and a few weeks after graduation I was offered a full time position in a growing podiatry practice.  In talking with several NP's and fellow students I was advised that I may inevitably be hurting my career opportunities by taking the position.  After all...  Who had ever heard of a NP working with a podiatrist.  Was it even legal in Kentucky?  Did I know enough about the foot and ankle to effectively care for patients?

After doing the research, I found that it was legal to work in collaboration with a DPM and since I have never been one to follow the path of least resistance, I accepted the position.  As far as having a knowledge base that would allow me to be an excellent foot and ankle clinician, that would come years later as I have spent several hundred hours of self study to gain the experience and confidence that I have today in treating many common and complicated foot and ankle pathology.

In speaking with many Nurse Practitioners, Physician Assistants, Physical Therapist and MD's/DO's, I have come to the conclusion that adequate training and education in foot and ankle care is missing in our educational experience.  With this blog, I hope to introduce you to some interesting case studies, offer effective and research based practice guideline suggestions and provide video education on performing common foot and ankle procedures.

No comments:

Post a Comment